MiPAC is very excited to have Peter Furlan joining our faculty as conductor of our Jazz Ensembles, and instructor of both sax and flute during our first two weeks. He holds two Masters Degrees from New York University, teaches & conducts at several high schools and colleges, and is an active professional performer for many years.
Mr. Peter Furlan is a saxophonist, composer, arranger and educator whose striking originality is demonstrated on his Twinz Records release “Peter Furlan – Spy Glass Hill”.
In addition to leading The Peter Furlan Project, Peter Furlan Trio & Quintet, he co-leads 3 groups, Mr. Gone, FAQ & Le Jazz Electronique. He has performed and recorded with Dizzy Gillespie, The Temptations, 10,000 Maniacs, The Four Tops, Terumasa Hino, Thomas Chapin, Don Alias, Frank Foster, Brian Lynch, David Budway, John Hart, Mike Richmond, Terry Silverlight, Cameron Brown, Vinnie Cutro, Steven Bernstein, Duane Eubanks, Ratzo Harris, Richie Morales, The Mahavishnu Project and many others. Accordingly, the diversity of these musical experiences has served to inform Peter’s comprehensive and eclectic creative palette.
A New York native currently living in Congers, N.Y., Furlan studied with Jackie McLean and Paul Jeffrey at the Hartt Conservatory of Music and Rutgers University. He studied composition with Jim McNeely and received two Masters Degrees (Jazz Composition, Jazz Performance) from New York University.
He is currently affiliated with a variety of educational programs in New York and New Jersey.
- Founder, artistic director and conductor, Rockland Youth Jazz Ensemble (www.ryje.com), Rockland, NY
- Vice-President, Rockland County Jazz and Blues Society (www.rcjbs.org)
- Member, Rockland County Music Teachers Guild
- Jazz Ensemble Director, Bergen Catholic High School, Oradell, NJ
- Professor of Music, Bergen Community College, Paramus, NJ
- Woodwind Instructor, Storm King School, Cornwall-On-Hudson (www.sks.org)
- Private woodwind teacher, Rockland County, NY (32 years experience!!)